January 20, 2018
Members of the LWV of Los Altos-Mountain View met to review and discuss our priorities for the years 2018-2020 for LWVUS and for the year of 2018-2019 for our local League. The following is a summary of our discussion.
League members agreed to accept LWVUS request that we not add any new studies or reviews to their program for 2018-2020. We agreed that focusing on Voting Rights, Improving Elections, Campaign Finance Reform/Money in Politics and Redistricting were the most important issues facing LWVUS and our country and should, therefore, receive the most attention. The request by the LWV of Palos Verdes Peninsula to recommend a study on Artificial Intelligence was not agreed to. Members cited the complexity of Artificial Intelligence and the fast-moving changes in the field, made it a difficult issue for us to study as we lack the technical expertise.
Our discussion about local priorities centered on growing our membership and elevating our public profile. We all agreed that while the League is well regarded, most people don’t know what we do. We captured the following ideas:
Other recommendations –
- write to city councils and commissions
- write and call legislators
- improve our outreach by using Nextdoor, PTAs, parent groups, MV Moms, Tech Bay Area, Lean-In, neighborhood associations, Facebook, twitter, text messages
- tell the Leopold story and history
- develop an elevator pitch
- connect LWV positions to local issues
- ‘think before you sign’ regarding all of the petitions that circulate
- e-blast to non-members
- determine what is our essence and what makes us unique
We agreed that we should continue to focus on housing and transportation in our community. We did not add Criminal Justice Reform to our list of priorities as requested by the LWV of Los Angeles.
We discussed our current teams and committees and what they are doing. Members wishing to get more involved were encouraged to join a team. The upcoming elections, June and November, will create work for us as we prepare to offer our signature events – candidate forums and ballot measure presentations.