Mountain View – Los Altos High School District (MVLA) March 2017

The College and Career Guidance Center Coordinators gave a presentation describing improvements made this year in response to visiting various high schools in the region.  Counselors at MVHS and LAHS each created a College Counseling Handbook for Juniors, paid for by the MVLA Foundation.  Board members requested that the two departments work together to combine their handbooks for next year.  Both departments increased advising for seniors and presentations for juniors.

Mike Mathiesen, Associate Superintendent, presented the Second Interim Budget report, which was approved.  The district is in a very good financial situation and will be able to meet its financial obligations for the 2016-17 fiscal year and two subsequent years while maintaining the minimum state mandated 3% reserve.  Additional donations of $160,000 (including $100,000 from the Tides Foundation) increased revenues compared with the First Interim Budget Report.  Lower medical premiums account for reduced expenditures of $821,000.  New board policy calls for a reserve of
the state-required 3% plus 17% (2 months expenses), which would be a total of $16.3 million.  The current budget has a reserve of $13.2 million due to insufficient revenues to meet the target reserve.  Budgets in future years will move towards a full 20% reserve.

The board passed a resolution in support of undocumented students and their families; endorsed Measure B, the Mountain View Whisman School District parcel tax which will be on the May 2 mail-in ballot; and voted for the incumbents in the California School Board Association (CSBA) Delegate Assembly Election.

— Sally Ahnger, Observer