The Registrar of Voters maintains voter rolls and conducts elections. Contact the Registrar’s office if you have questions about your registration.
Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters
1555 Berger Drive, Bldg. 2
San Jose, California 95112
P.O. Box 611360, San Jose, CA 95161-1360
(408) 299-8683 – general information
(408) 299-7655 – polling place
TO VOTE IN CALIFORNIA, YOU MUST
- be a U.S. citizen
- be a resident of California
- be 18 years of age or older on Election Day
- not be in prison or on parole for a felony
- not currently found mentally incompetent by a court
- be registered at least 15 days before the election
HOW TO REGISTER TO VOTE
You can obtain a voter registration form at city halls, public libraries, Dept. of Motor Vehicles or U.S. Post Offices, or call the Registrar of Voters and ask to have one mailed. You may register in person at the Registrar’s office or online at https://registertovote.ca.gov/
TO REGISTER ONLINE YOU WILL NEED
- your California driver license or California identification card number
- the last four digits of your Social Security number
- your date of birth
YOU MUST RE-REGISTER IF YOU
- moved to Santa Clara County from a different California county
- change your name
- wish to change your political party choice
USE VOTER’S ACTION REQUEST FORM
If you are already registered to vote in Santa Clara County Clara County and want to change your address within Santa Clara County or mailing address
You can register with a political party or you can choose no party preference.
In a General Election, all voters receive the same ballot, regardless of party preference.
PARTIES QUALIFIED FOR THE STATE BALLOT
- American Independent
- Peace & Freedom
About 2-3 weeks before each election, the Registrar mails to each registered voter a sample ballot with information about candidates and ballot measures. You should mark your sample ballot in advance and take it to the polling place to aid your voting.
WHERE TO VOTE
The address of your polling place and your precinct number are printed on your sample ballot. Polling places are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Election Day. You can also call the Registrar of Voters (408) 299-8683 or 1(866) 430-8683 or go to https://votersedge.org/ca.
FOR PERMANENT VOTE BY MAIL APPLICATION
call (408) 299-8683 or print form at www.sccvote.org, complete & mail form to Registrar of Voters Vote By Mail Division, P.O. Box 611750, San Jose 95161 or FAX: 408-293-6002.
VOTE BY MAIL
If you have not chosen to be a Permanent Vote By Mail voter, you may apply for a Vote-By-Mail ballot for the upcoming election from Registrar of Voters Vote By Mail Division, P.O. Box 611750, San Jose 95161. Requests must be received at least 7 days before the election.
Print, complete & mail a Vote-By-Mail request form at www.sccvote.org OR complete the Vote-By-Mail Application in the Sample Ballot and mail it to Registrar of Voters OR Call 408-299-8640 to request a Vote-by-Mail form.
RETURNING VOTE BY MAIL BALLOTS
Voted ballots must be sealed inside the provided return envelope, and the envelope must be signed by the voter to be counted. Ballots can be returned:
- By Mail: Please allow enough time for the ballot to arrive at the Registrar’s Office. Vote-by-Mail ballots can be mailed/postmarked on Election Day, provided that they arrive at their destination within three (3) days. NO Postage required.
• Green Mail Ballot Precinct envelope NO Postage required.
- At the Registrar of Voters’ Office: 1555 Berger Dr., Building 2, San Jose. For your convenience, there is a white 24-hour drop box in the parking lot.
- At any Santa Clara County polling place from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Election Day.
- At a Vote-by-Mail Drop Off Site: Drop boxes are available at city halls, college campuses, Santa Clara County Library District libraries, and other convenient locations throughout the county. A complete list of locations and hours are announced before each election.
If you would like to work as an election officer on Election Day, call (408) 299-7655.